The battle over the Bitcoin blockchain. Blockstream (developers in control of Bitcoin Core) wants the current 1 Mb block size to remain the same to increase transaction fees – as the block size does not fit all unconfirmed transactions, only the higher fee transactions are included in the mined block. Users want the block size to be increased to 2 MB (Bitcoin Classic).
|%Nodes (data from nodecounter.com)
||%Classic Blocks In
Last 1,000 Mined
- Battle going nowhere.
- Roger Ver Speaks Out Against r/Bitcoin Censorship [news.bitcoin.com]
- Core Vs. Classic Discussion Grows Stale [themerkle.com]
- Cornell Study Recommends 4MB Blocksize for Bitcoin [cryptocoinsnews.com]
- Segregated Witness Enters Final Testnet Stage, Includes Lightning Network Support [bitcoinmagazine.com]
- Mike Hearn: The Problem with Bitcoin is its “Terrible” Leader [cryptocoinsnews.com]
- Is Bitcoin’s Civil War Over? [cryptocoinsnews.com]
- Bitcoin Classic Mining Hashrate Increases By Over 50% [themerkle.com]
- The Role of Bitcoin Nodes: Do Full Nodes Running in Data Centers Benefit the Bitcoin Network? [bitcoinmagazine.com]
- Centralization of Bitcoin Classic Nodes Needs To Be Addressed [bitcoinist.net]
- Block Size Survey Reveals ‘Deep Divide’ Between Bitcoin Subreddits [news.bitcoin.com]
- A Closer Look at Reddit Vote Manipulation About Bitcoin [bitcoinmagazine.com]
- BitPay Block Size Solution Introduces Dynamic Scalability [newsbtc.com]
- No End In Sight For Block Size Debate As ‘Halving’ Approaches: Will The Bitcoin Network Survive? [cryptocoinsnews.com]
- Does Your Blockchain Even Pay Devs, Bro? [thedailydecrypt.com]
- Accusations Fly as Classic Core Debate Goes Corporate [news.bitcoin.com]
- Bitcoin stakeholders need to organize to break Blockstreams stranglehold on development [reddit.com/r/btc]
- BTCC’s Samson Mow on Block Size: The Bitcoin Community Must See Through Manipulation, Keep Calm and Write Code [bitcoinmagazine.com]
- The Block Size Debate From A Miner’s Perspective [cryptocoinsnews.com]
- Bitcoin moderation – three years in review [bravenewcoin.com]
- Blockstream confirms the “conspiracy theory” Their business plan depends on crippling bitcoin [reddit.com/r/btc]
- Why Bitcoin’s Block Size Debate is a Proxy War [coindesk.com]
- Bitcoin Community Reaches Consensus, Mainstream Gives It a Wide Berth [themerkle.com]
- Xapo President Ted Rogers Blasts Blockstream And Mentions Ethereum [bitcoinist.net]
- Node Counter On Blockstream, Bitcoin Core and Censorship [bitcoinist.net] and the important message from Node Counter http://m.imgur.com/JtOLPwi if Bitcoin is to be saved from centralised control.
- Satoshi Roundtable Participants Agree to and Sign Pledge for More Respectful Dialogue [news.bitcoin.com].
- 21 Inc Bitcoin Computer Can Now Run Bitcoin Classic Nodes [news.bitcoin.com]
- Blockchain.info CEO: Industry Standoff Poses Serious Risk to Future of Bitcoin [cryptocoinsnews.com]
- Complaints Hit ‘Record’ Levels at Blockchain Amid Confirmation Delays [coindesk.com]
- Hard Fork is Not the Way to Scale Bitcoin, says Stephen Pair [newsbtc.com]
- With New Releases, Competing Bitcoin Teams Forge Long-Term Scaling Plans [coindesk.com]
- Core Protocol Issues Can Lead To A Bitcoin Exodus [bitcoinist.net]
- Gavin Andresen: Developers Resisting On-Chain Solutions Are ‘Wrong’ [news.bitcoin.com]
- Death Sentence for the World’s Most Popular Cryptocurrency [cointelegraph.com]
- Block Size Consensus Hinges On Bitcoin Miners Input [themerkle.com]
- Bitcoin Giants Swing at Core Devs Amid Controversy [bitcoinist.net]
- The Case for Replace-By-Fee (And the Case Against) [bitcoinmagazine.com]
- Core Nodes Below Historic 70% Line as Dev Tensions Continue [news.bitcoin.com]
- It’s a Race against Time for Bitcoin, Says Blockchain’s Peter Smith [newsbtc.com]
- Bitcoin Faces Extinction Without Core Development Competition [coindesk.com]
- Bitcoin Devs Could Learn a Lot from BSD [bitcoinist.net]
- Core Developers May Spell Bitcoin’s Doom – Brian Armstrong [newsbtc.com]
- The Crisis in Bitcoin and the Rise of Blockchain [fortune.com]. Thanks Charles.
- Coinbase CEO: Core Team is a “Systemic Threat” [bitcoinist.net]
- Coinbase CEO: Core Developers May Be Bitcoin’s ‘Biggest Systemic Risk’ [coindesk.com]
- Four Key Disagreements Between Bitcoin Classic and Bitcoin Core [bitcoinmagazine.com]
- Bitcoin Price Dips Closer to $400 Following Network Disruptions [coindesk.com]
- What Happened At The Satoshi Roundtable [medium.com/@barmstrong]
- Gavin Andresen: An Unlimited Block Size Would Be Fine [coingecko.com]
- Daily Discussions on reedit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets have started using the term Othercoin when referring to Ethers due to censorship.
- ‘The Age of Altcoins is Upon Us’ [thedailydecrypt.com]
- Bitcoin Transactions Get Stranded as Cryptocurrency Maxes Out [technologyreview.com]
- Bitcoin’s nightmare scenario has come to pass [theverge.com]
- Slowing Bitcoin Down: Is It Nature Or Politics? [cointelegraph.com]
- Satoshi Roundtable Of Presumption & Ego [cryptocoinsnews.com]
- Lethargic Transactions: Good for Crypto, Bad for Adoption [cointelegraph.com]
- SegWit forked unexpectedly on testnet [reddit.com/r/btc]. The Segregated Witness [news.bitcoin.com] protocol change is much more complicated to implement in Bitcoin compared to the single byte source code change to increase the blocksize from 1 Mb to 2 Mb. And Bitcoin transactions are stalling at the moment.
- Will Block Size Debate Really Address Bitcoin Scalability? [newsbtc.com]
- Blockstream – meet the investors [reddit.com/r/btc] – Megapolies have control over Bitcoin through the Bitcoin Core software developers. Will the Bitcoin community switch over to 75+% Bitcoin Classic to regain control?
- Bitcoin Miners and Core Developers Release SegWit, Hard Fork Agreement [bitcoinmagazine.com]
- Bitcoin Classic Hard Fork Likely to Activate at 71% Hashrate Support [bitcoinmagazine.com]
- Bitcoin’s Capacity Issues No ‘Nightmare’, But Higher Fees May Be New Reality [coindesk.com]
- Increasing Bitcoin Block Size vs. Higher Transaction Fees [news.bitcoin.com]
- Slush Pool Voting Shows Bitcoin Classic in Early Lead [news.bitcoin.com]
- Blockchain Monday Blues Due to Spam Transactions on Bitcoin Network [newsbtc.com]
- The Bitcoin Blocksize Tweetle Beetle Bottle Puddle Paddle Battle Muddle is over a single byte in the highlighted line below – the changing of ‘1000000′ to ‘2000000′. Following is Bitcoin Core’s source code for consensus.h (github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/src/consensus/consensus.h):
And here is Bitcon Classic’s consensus.h with the single character changed (github.com/bitcoinclassic/bitcoinclassic/blob/0.12/src/consensus/consensus.h):
(It’s a little more complicated than the single character change – a few other changes, compilation, testing, …)
The Blockstream is going from strength to strength [bravenewcoin.com] article may help explain why that single byte highlighted above is contentious: small block size = higher fees, plus corporate control of the Bitcoin Core developers, and therefore the source code, by the Megapolies.
Bitcoin XT’s equivalent source code can be found at github.com/bitcoinxt/bitcoinxt/blob/master/src/consensus/consensus.h and Bitcoin Unlimited’s equivalent source code can be found at github.com/BitcoinUnlimited/BitcoinUnlimited/blob/0.11cfg_stats/src/consensus/consensus.h .
- No Consensus Reached During Satoshi Roundtable Florida [news.bitcoin.com]
- Bitcoin Classic Targeted by DDoS Attacks [news.bitcoin.com]
- From tradeblock.com/bitcoin there are now 36,115 transactions worth 333,203.21 BTCs (~ 230 million AUD) with fees totalling 6.36 BTCs (~ 3,900 AUD) and total size 46 Mb waiting to be confirmed. Some of these may be spam transactions protesting against the 1 Mb block size. On the other side of the fence, nodes running the 2 Mb block size Bitcoin Classic are being DDoS-ed. All over the increasing of fees on the Bitcoin network, now pwned by Megapolies.
- How Bitcoin Became the Slowest, Most Expensive, Least-Developed Currency [youtube.com/thedailydecrypt.com]
- Block Size Blues: Confirmation Times Rising as 1 MB Limit Looms [bitcoinist.net]
- ‘Bitcoin Always Needed More Than One Body of Developers’: An Interview With Libbitcoin’s Eric Voskuil [bitcoinmagazine.com]
- Why the Great Firewall of China Is Causing Serious Issues for Bitcoin Miners [bitcoinmagazine.com]
- Transaction Fees Increase as Bitcoin Blocks Get Full [newsbtc.com]